Thursday, March 20, 2014

PROFESSIONAL PHILOSOPHY


“THE NOBLEST MOTIVE IS THE PUBLIC GOOD.” –Virgil

Professional Philosophy


        Continuously throughout my experience in the MLIS program, the ALA Code of Ethics has been referred to as the basis that a librarian should build their career on. I have adopted and manipulated the Code of Ethics to create and define my own professional philosophy.
I. The ALA Code of Ethics states: “We provide the highest level of service to all library users…” The key to creating a useful, relaxing, and productive environment for library patrons is by providing good service. A library can be architecturally beautiful, have an abundance of books and computers yet if a patron cannot find the item they are searching for the library becomes practically useless. I believe that service is important in whichever career path you choose and it is my goal to always strive to provide great service to my patrons. I have had experience working in a low-income area and I have seen the impact the library can have on patrons with little access outside the library to technology and books. Providing access to materials specific to the cultural and economic needs of the community is important when providing good service. The library needs to continue to meet the needs of the patron and I plan on continuously reaching out to the public to insure their service needs are being met.
II. Intellectual Freedom: As part of the ALA Code of Ethics, intellectual freedom and resistance to censorship play a strong roll in most libraries. I whole-heartedly believe in intellectual freedom and I feel censoring books only inhibits learning and the expression of beliefs. I grew up in America believing in freedom of speech and I will do whatever is in my power to continue this freedom and to fight off efforts of censorship.
III. Right to Privacy: Maintaining the patrons right to privacy and confidentiality is a part of the ALA Code of Ethics. I have had first hand experience in my current position with this issue. I have explained to patrons who are concerned that their information is secure and will not be shared outside the library. It is important that the library staff allow patrons to feel safe and comfortable asking for help seeking out information they need without being judged or ridiculed. Patrons should feel comfortable checking out any book of their choice without fear or embarrassment from the staff.
IV. Treat Coworkers with Respect: The ALA Code of Ethics states: “We treat coworkers and other colleagues with respect, fairness, and good faith…” As in any job treating coworkers respectfully is a necessity to creating an enjoyable and growing work environment. Training together and sharing responsibilities will help to create a mutual understanding between employees. Everyone should be allowed to express and share their uniqueness while receiving understanding and respect. I hope to foster strong relationships that will continue to grow and create an enjoyable work place.
V. Strive for Excellence: Continuous growth is a necessity in the library field. Technology is forever changing and as information professionals we need to be on top of our field to successfully allow our patrons to succeed. I plan on continuing my education, joining professional groups and attending conferences to allow myself to grow and strive for excellence in my field. As I learned from Library 261a, Programming for Young Adults, I will create training programs and motivate my colleagues and staff to continue their training so we can all succeed together (Library 261a Staff). Using the new knowledge I will gain from my education I will create and update educational programs for the patrons.
       The needs of the community are very important to me. I have been participating in a Homeword Bound program through the Castro Valley Public Library, which matches elderly homebound patrons with volunteers. The volunteer brings books to the patron’s house to allow the patron to continue reading. Through my education and research I have found many different programs that help meet the needs of the community, such as the Booklegger program through the Pleasanton Library which provides training for volunteers to visit elementary schools to read to students. I plan on implementing some of these programs in my future career as a librarian to continue reaching out to the public.
       By following these guidelines I hope to create and maintain a successful career as a library professional.

References


American Library Association (2011). Code of Ethics. Retrieved July 20, 2011 from http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/proethics/codeofethics/codeethics.cfm

Library of Congress (2006). On These Walls. Retrieved July 20, 2011 from http://www.loc.gov/loc/walls/

Pleasanton Library (2011). Booklegger Program. Retrieved September 11, 2011 from http://www.ci.pleasanton.ca.us/services/library/volunteer-opportunities.html

Castro Valley Public Library (2011). Homeword Bound. Retrieved September 11, 2011 from http://guides.aclibrary.org/senior?topic=SeniorServices&cat=SeniorServices

Evidence:
Libr 261a: Staff Development

No comments:

Post a Comment