Thursday, March 20, 2014

COMPETENCY E


“E PLURIBUS UNUM (From one, many).”

E.
Design, query and evaluate information retrieval systems.

      Information retrieval systems play a primary role for libraries and librarians. There are many different versions of information retrieval systems from the more simplistic to the more advanced. Which system is used depends on the needs and preferences of each specific library.
       For Library 202, Information Retrieval, we learned about the mechanics behind creating a database. Part of creating a database involves dividing and grouping information into different categories and properly naming and linking those groups to allow the user to easily find the information they are seeking. In Library 202 we were given many exercises that allowed us to get a feel for how databases were created. One assignment started out with images that needed keywords to represent each image. Attention to detail was mandatory when choosing vocabulary and terminology to describe the images. After sorting through the data and editing out duplicate or generic words, we were tasked with creating a data structure, which included fields and rules. I have included a screen shot of my final database for Library 202 (Library 202 Screen Shot).
      I became proficient at querying information retrieval systems in Library 244, Online Searching. For this class the focus was on three information retrieval systems: Dialog, LexisNexis and Factiva. Each system required different skills to complete search inquiries. Dialog was the hardest to understand and navigate I believe it takes years of practice and continued learning to be successful using this system. Factiva and LexisNexis were easier to “begin” but it was obvious that the more familiar you are at any of these systems the more accurate your results will be. We had many assignments that involved finding answers to reference questions posed to us using one or all of these systems (Library 244 Exercise). Most of the assignments allowed the decision of which system to use to be that of the researcher.
      Throughout my time in the SLIS program I have evaluated many different retrieval system. I also had experience at my job using information retrieval systems, such as Destiny. Fortunately not all information retrieval systems are complicated to use. Patrons and librarians can access information they need extremely quickly with the use of keywords and boolean operations. For Library 244, Online Searching, I wrote a paper comparing the three information retrieval systems that we had used in class (Library 244 Comparison). Dialog, LexisNexis and Factiva. From my experience and research I found Factiva to be the overall easiest system to use. Dialog was extremely difficult for me, yet after all my research I came to believe that Dialog gave the best results in the most areas compared to the other systems.
      Information retrieval systems are always changing and new systems are being created. I realize that throughout my career I will have access to many systems and will always be growing and challenging myself to find the best system for my needs.



References


Library of Congress (2006). On These Walls. Retrieved July 20, 2011 from http://www.loc.gov/loc/walls/

Evidence:
Libr 244: Comparison of Search Services

No comments:

Post a Comment