Thursday, March 20, 2014

CONCLUSION


"FINIS CORONAT OPUS (The end crowns the work)."

Conclusion

       I cannot express how much I have learned throughout my experience in the SLIS program. The E-portfolio only scratches the surface of my newly acquired knowledge. I came into this program with little knowledge of the library field. I have been visiting libraries ever since I can remember yet I had no idea of the amount of work a librarian puts into their career. I am so happy that I joined this program and I have met some wonderful professors and fellow students.
       Although I am glad I have finally come to the end of my time in the SLIS program there were a few classes that I would have really loved to take if I had had the credits available. Library 280, History of Books and Libraries, seemed tailor made to me with my B.A. in history and love of books. Also Library 262a, Materials for Children Ages 0-4 and Library 264 Materials for Tweens, were two areas of the children’s librarianship that I would have liked to have experienced. Looking back on the many classes I took I have to credit Library 263, Materials for Children Ages 5-8, with putting me on my career path to becoming a children’s librarian. I took Library 263 to expand my knowledge of the different areas in the library filed. One of the required books for the class was The Proust and the Squid by Maryanne Wolf. I had never had any experience with kids but once I started reading about how children learn to read and how adults can help motivate or discourage reading I was hooked. All I wanted to do was to change one child’s life and to make them a life long reader. I immediately started taking as many children’s courses as I could fit into my schedule.
        I am saddened that my formal education has come to an end. I cannot begin to picture my life without school books and essays, but I will try! I plan on continuing my education by joining professional associations to keep up with the latest trends and changes and by reading library journals and articles. I encourage anyone who is interested in becoming a librarian to take the SLIS program at SJSU. I received a great education in an unusual format but I would not have changed anything.
I, Katrina Deliramich, affirm that all introductory, reflective, and evidentiary work submitted is mine alone (except where indicated as a group or team project), and has been prepared solely by me.

References

Library of Congress (2006). On These Walls. Retrieved July 20, 2011 from http://www.loc.gov/loc/walls/

Wolf, M. (2008). Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain. New York: Harper Perennial.

No comments:

Post a Comment